Chocolate and Salted Caramel Tart
A super easy and quick tart perfect for entertaining. You slightly cheat by using a ready made pastry case!
- Ready made pastry case approx. 20-23cm
- Can of Carnation caramel 397g
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt flakes pus extra to decorate
- For Chocolate Filling
- 125 g good quality dark chocolate broken into chunks
- 85 g unsalted butter
- 1 egg plus 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- Crème fraîche to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / gas mark 4
- Mix the caramel in a bowl with the salt, making sure it is thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the caramel into the pastry case and spread evenly, you won't need to use it all.
- To make the filling, melt the chocolate with the butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove and leave to cool a little. Whisk the eggs and sugar using an electric beater until the mixture is light and fluffy and has increased in volume. Stir in the chocolate and butter.
- Pour the mixture over the caramel and place in the preheated oven or baking oven of the Aga. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Leave until completely cooled and place on a serving plate. Decorate with a a light scattering of sea salt flakes and serve.
- It is good served at room temperature though it is easier to cut neatly with a warm knife if you leave it in the fridge until ready to serve.
TOP TIPS You can make the tart a day ahead and keep it in the fridge. It is a perfect make ahead entertaining dish and is very rich so only serve a small slice. If you feel like making a pastry case then find a recipe for chocolate pastry which goes really well with this tart.