Recipe of the month
Bacon, Artichoke and Spinach Crustless Quiche
- 1 tbsp butter
- 100 g smoked streaky bacon roughly chopped
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 100 g young spinach
- 140 g pot of chargrilled artichokes drained and halved
- 50 g self raising flour
- 375 ml whole milk
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 125 g gruyere
- 80 g soft goat's cheese or Philadelphia
- Preheat the oven to 190C / 170C fan / gas 5
- Lightly grease a 23cm ceramic or Pyrex flan dish with a little butter.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan or saucepan, then cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan and cook the onions slowly for about 10 minutes until soft and beginning to caramelise. Spread the bacon and onion evenly over the base of the greased dish.
- Wilt the spinach in the same pan over a medium heat. Leave to cool slightly, then squeeze out the excess moisture and add to the greased dish along with the artichokes.
- Slowly add the milk to the flour in a large jug. Whisk continuously so that there are no lumps, then whisk in the eggs, mustard and salt and pepper. Stir in 100g of the gruyere and pour the egg mixture into the baking dish.
- Add random spoonfuls of the soft cheese over the top and then scatter with the remaining gruyere.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until just set and starting to rise. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving as this is best served warm than hot.
- Serve with a green or Greek salad.
TOP TIPS The amount of filling and what I have filled this with is just a guideline. You can play around with the fillings - courgette and pea, red pepper (from a jar) and feta with a handful of soft herbs, asparagus and gruyere or bacon, mushroom and chive all work really well. I normally cook all the ingredients first and then scatter them in the base of the buttered dish. Leftovers will sit in the fridge for 3 days and this dish is definitely best served at room temperature or warm. Reheat in a preheated oven (around 150C) for 15 or so minutes.